Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tatoosh Range





The orignal plan this weekend was to climb Mt. Hood. I wish had, because the weather was perfect, but I got out of shape over the holidays, and I know I could not have made it easily.

Daniel and I decided to go to the Tatoosh range just south of Mt. Rainier, and climb to the top of the ridge. The weather was fabulous for winter, and just could not have been better. I wish I'd been in better shape and we actually got some high elevation. There was a temperature inversion and it was 40 degrees at home, but 60 at 5,000'. I went snowshoeing in pants and short sleeves.

I really enjoyed the trip because I got to see a part of Mt. Rainier NP that I'd never seen before. It was great to just get outside and enjoy God's creation for the first time in several months. I feel more alive and at home in the mountains than I do in the city. I really like the Tatoosh range and plan to come back sometime in the summer with a rope to do some climbing and rappelling.

We took our time getting to the top of the ridge, and had to travel as fast as we could be make it back to the car in time. When we were still a mile away from the parking lot, we dropped off the trail and onto the main road, and were able to hitch a ride with a nice couple that was on thier way up. By then my legs were starting to get sore, and they still are.

3 comments:

Ariele O'Brien said...

'Glad you and Daniel had such beautiful weather and a great time. These pictures are great!

crabbylove said...

Beautiful pictures, what a pretty day.

Anonymous said...

Sorry that it always takes me soooo long to visit this site as well as everyone else's. PC giving me havoc by the hands full. Well anyway, pix are great and we are glad that you are getting in all of your adventures into the wild up yonder. Love, Mother